Three on Thursday, Week 12: Rambutans

Lately, Soren and I have been noticing the unusual fruits at the grocery store. We tried a starfruit a few weeks ago, a horned melon (which turned out to be a cucumber in a very cool presentation), and this week we spotted rambutans. And while Peter and I love rambutans after eating them all over south Asia, I must say that paying $11.99/lb for them is kind of painful.

snow 009

But since Soren was so gung ho about trying them, and they didn't weigh much I picked up two. They sure are fun to peel.

snow 013

The first little taste, where I was expecting the huge brimming smile.

snow 023

Or not. Turns out that our rambutans were slightly fermented. Sigh.

snow 025

Oh well, the adventurous spirit lives. Next I need to figure out what to do with those cactus like fruits (?) that are sometimes available. We want to try those next.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...I have never seen or heard of Rambutans. What do they taste like? (When not fermented of course!)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.