More Musical Influence

Soren: Mom, you're so vain.

Me: Uh, ok buddy, you and your dad been hangin' out listenin' to Carly Simon lately?

Soren. {Pause. Quizzical look.} Mom, you're so vain.

Me: You know, Soren, that really isn't a very nice thing to say.

Soren: {Big pause.} What is vain?

Me: It means you only think about yourself.

Soren: Oh, I'm so vain.

Me: No, actually you are not. You are a helpful and thoughtful boy. You always pick flowers for me. You are kind to new kids in your class. You don't only think about yourself.

{Insert small interlude where I busted out singing You're So Vain - really, who could resist? Soren chimed in with his best air guitar and rock n roll head thrashing.}

Soren: Mom, you're just a little bit vain.

----
Editted to add: After I wrote this up, I told Peter about it. He immediately recalled talking to Soren about that song when it came on the radio this week. He had told Soren that vain meant that you thought you were so beautiful that you always wanted to look in the mirrror. Hearing this I think I understand more about what Soren was trying to say. He said "you're so vain" in such a sweet, gentle voice when we were sitting around having a very nice time, it just didn't make sense that he'd been saying something rude. I really think he thought that if I was vain it meant I was so beautiful that I would look in the mirror all the time! Hm, or maybe that is just wishful thinking?

3 comments:

  1. This is why I love blogging. These are the moments that you think you will remember, but you never do. It is so fun to look back and laugh about this stuff.
    I think he did mean that you were beautiful! For sure what he was thinking:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the sweetest thing I have ever read!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So stinkin sweet....I wish I would have written down more when mine were little. There is just no way to remember everything. Reading yours always jogs a few memories though, I love it. I get to learn about your family and remember things about mine.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.