The View from My Tub

I love my house. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't marvel at the beauty out our windows. I feel so grateful to be able to be safe, warm and secure - all the things that a home can give us - and also look out at the blowing grass on the northerly hills, the Willamette River glistening in the distance, the oaks coming into bloom or the countless other wonders out my windows.

I never had a "dream house." Mostly I was too busy dreaming of India, or Thailand or some other destination. But certainly never a house. And so, when I ended up in this lovely, lovely place that I actually owned I couldn't help but be surprised. How in the world could this possibly have happened? I didn't work nearly hard enough to earn it, I wasn't deserving enough to have it given to me...how, oh how, did I end up living here?

On one of our first days in our house, I climbed into my big jetted jacuzzi tub, pretty much stunned somehow that this was my big jetted jacuzzi tub. I sank down into the bubbles and looked out at the view. The view from my tub goes for miles, it looks over a wetlands wildlife area and even has the Willamette River in the distance. All of this is framed by an enormous, grand old Oak tree in our field. I was literally giddy. Giggling like a kid who somehow found herself alone in her own private candy store. Wow.

I remember that moment so clearly. And for me that special view out my bathroom window will always remind me of that giddy, grateful moment.

And so now, 7 years later, I still am amazed that somehow I get to live here. I noticed last night that the view from my bathtub is a bit different nowadays though:

bathtub 014

Hm, somehow I find that just as precious as that view of that grand old oak.

4 comments:

  1. hahahahahaha! Now that is how you tell a story. Okay...I need to move to Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great blog!! I love that you find beauty in child chaos. That is very touching. Soren is a lucky little boy to have a mom like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story telling. Seriously. And I agree with you, your house and it's view ARE amazing. But, you're the kind of person that no matter what your house is like, there's a good feeling there.

    p.s. Soren has some great tub toys. I still remember the feeling of playing with adventure men and boats in the tub. No Barbie's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the story of finding your "dream house"...and love love the love the shot at the end. Way to be brave taking your camera in the tub...knowing me I'd drop mine!

    That was a good read!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.