Snow Day

Wow! We're totally getting hammered with winter weather here! Peter called me while I was shopping last night and advised that I come home. I was like "huh?" then I stepped outside. In the hour I was in the store it got nasty. Took me over an hour to drive the ~7 miles home. There's one place on my route home that is always the first to be troublesome, and sure enough there were two cars hanging over the edge of the road. Oops. I turned around rather than try it.

To occupy Soren on the lengthy trip, I made up a game. I had a few candies in my purse and so I told him I would give him a candy if he could find a snowman. After a few minutes of searching he announced "Mom, I have a great plan! Let's not find a snowman. Let's see if I can find snow on the road. (Minor pause) Oh, look there's some snow on the road!"

I wasn't falling for that quite so easily, so here was the next conversation after he did indeed successfully find a snowman:
Me: Ok, so next see if you can find a reindeer.
Soren (after a few minutes of searching again): Mom, I have another great idea. How about I get a candy if I find a tree?
Me: That really isn't very much fun. There are trees everywhere!
Soren: No mom, trees are something that are very difficult for me to see.

Mr. Negotiation, eh?

My alternate route was the highway. The northbound highway was shut down because all three highway lanes were clogged by semis that couldn't get up the hills. Fortunately I was heading southbound. All went well until our road. Totally icy. I hugged the gravelly/grassy side of the road to get some traction, dropped it into low and prayed. But it just wasn't happening. I got within a quarter mile. Parked at a neighbor's, wrapped Soren's head in Peter's underwear (weird thing to have randomly in the car, I suppose, but hey) and walked the rest of the way. Soren was a total trouper. But when we walked in the house he said "Let's never do that again, ok mom?"

Today there really isn't that much snow, but it is super cold so the ice just doesn't have any hope o f melting. So, the car stays at the neighbor's. I try to get a little work done from home. We all stay in the house. And we try to find things worth baking that don't have chocolate chips in them since we don't have any chocolate chips on hand. But really, is it even worth the bother if it doesn't involve chocolate?

We did manage some tasty banana-nut muffins. Some Pecan brittle may be next. We'll see.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow. That sucks about your car. Glad it wasn't you that drove off the road. It's way scarier with kidos in the car.

    Ok, Peter's underwear? In the car? Please tell me they were clean. Or not. That would make for an even better story. Poor Soren. How humiliating. Wearing Dad's undies on the head. So bad it's actually good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Natalie. Yesterday I took a huge load of stuff to Goodwill. Mixed in all the stuff were several old gym bags. As I was handing them off to the Goodwill guy, I noticed the underwear and managed to snatch them back before we donated them! Can't vouch for whether they were clean or not, but Soren did look pretty cozy in them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you believe this winter weather? I'm actually enjoying putting my good old winter driving skills back to use...I need to practice every now and then!

    I was thinking about your road and how scary it would be driving on it! Glad you guys made it home safe and sound! Can't wait to see what the next few days bring!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.