Parent-Teacher Conferences

Yesterday was our first ever parent teacher conference. I was actually really excited. Peter talks to Soren's teacher quite a lot about how he's doing and so I didn't really expect any great surprises. Mostly I was expecting something like:

blah blah blah genius blah blah really sweet. blah blah great kid. blah blah blah joy to be around...

You get the idea.

And more or less it did proceed that way. Then she pulled out few things to show us what he was doing in class. She started with his self portrait:

Um.

Immediately my mind ran to that night where against my better judgement I tried the cry it out method to get Soren to sleep on his own. Now I was reaping the result of that horrific mothering. My kid was crazy!

Or maybe it was because we let him play with bugs too much. That had to be it. Maybe he identified with them more than he did with humans! What had I done!

As I braced myself for the teacher's pronouncement of my child's severe identity issues I heard her say "...and this actually shows some advanced concepts..."

Um, say what?

My kid doesn't think he's a bug? I haven't totally and irrevocably screwed him up yet?

She did explain herself...something about drawing body parts that are attached together and that being pretty good for three. I didn't actually hear much of it. I was just taking a deep sigh of relief, Soren didn't think he was a bug or space alien.

Phew.

5 comments:

  1. When I first saw that picture I thought to myself that it was very good. Some kids aren't drawing like that till Kindergarten. All of my kids have drawn something exactly like that before. Well, not at that age. With some huge alien head and tentacles coming out. Well, all except Cal. I can barely get him to color. Way to go Soren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Van Gogh! Immediately when I saw that I knew that was really advanced for a three year old. Zen does a fairly decent face but his body proportions are still rather abstract. Really nice job Soren. I'd put that against the drawings of the Pre-K kids any day! Amy I was laughing at your response. You should've KNOWN Soren would excel at this as well as everything else! BTW LOVED the photo-booth snapshots what a little goof! He's precious and I'm so glad you and Peter are enjoying him as he grows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the drawing - looks like Soren is a three year-old art prodigy to me! Although I do have to admit I immediately thought it closely resembled a jelly fish...maybe from all that time at the beach?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first thought when I saw Soren's self-portrait was that it looks exactly like what Jameson is drawing right now and I found that very reassuring!

    Parent teacher conferences sound like a good idea...I would like more feedback on how Jameson is doing with preschool...without feeling like the nosy mother that I am!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh amy, your hilarious! There's no way Luke could draw that. He just scribbles till the points fall off his crayons. Im still looking for shapes!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.