Ode to O’Hare

I’m actually onboard at the moment. Flying home from Chicago. Business trip. I’m comfortably ensconced, cross-legged actually, with my lap top on my lap. I’ve just had tasty breakfast of fresh fruit and have finally decided that there just really isn’t one other thing that this amazingly attentive flight attendant could provide me. I’m in first class. Ah.

The wonder that is O’Hare airport came through again today. Another overbooked flight. Another call for volunteers willing to give up their seats. Me stepping up to the counter (ok, flying across the room shouting “pick me! pick me!”) and walking away with a few hours of delay in terms of getting home, but a first class upgrade for my flight, plus a free United ticket voucher.

This is something like the 4th or 5th consecutive time through O’Hare where we’ve come away with a slight delay rewarded with free tickets. And, now more than ever, I’m so grateful for them. My new job looks like it will have me travelling more than before and I’d like Soren and Peter to accompany me on as many of those trips as possible. Free tickets here and there really cut down on our travel costs. Thank you so much United!

First class is always nice of course, but I have to say that I appreciate it so much as a mother of a young child. Some quiet time, with people just wanting to serve me tasty snacks is so appreciated nowadays.

Actually, this whole trip has been like that. It was a fairly last minute trip (i.e., expensive flights) and short (i.e., not really worth paying for Peter and Soren to come) so I came by myself. And while I of course do miss them and I have really worked my tail off while I’ve been here, I have to admit that having two days all to myself has been heavenly. (I see all my mom friends nodding along!)

I stayed in a gorgeous hotel and had a suite all to myself. My first impulse was to wish that Soren and Peter were with me to enjoy it, but then I decided to just revel in the alone time. I ordered room service for breakfast (which came with lovely flowers on the tray), I ate out in a charming sidewalk café on a warm sunny evening before heading to the theater. I picked up an excellent seat for Wicked and was awed by the talent of the Wicked Witch. Spectacular.

So, I’m on my home to my beloved boys now. I’m tired from the long work days, and yet also refreshed from all the time just being by myself. Now, maybe I’ll just trouble that flight attendant for one more cup of tea.

4 comments:

  1. I am SOOOOO jealous! Okay, not about the working part. I am so glad you got a few days by yourself even though you were working. It makes family life so much better when mom gets a breather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip...sometimes ya just need that time to yourself...I'm glad you were able to revel in it and enjoy! And to get a free round trip + first class home...what a great deal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm tempted to fly to Chicago just to try and get some free travel vouchers. I can just see you running to the counter, "pick me! Pick me!" You know the secret.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, I need to figure out how to fly through Chicago more often.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.