The Joy of Good Books

We've read to Soren since he was a teeny, tiny baby. And while there was a lot of fun in some of those picture books,  I must admit that I so looked forward to the day when I could read him real books. Books that go on night after night, books that have good guys, bad guys and funny, sad plots.

I'm so glad that time has finally arrived. Here are a few we've read recently:

IMG_5876

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, Grace Lin. Loved this book! It feels like an ancient Chinese story even though it is actually contemporary (at least as far as I know.) It is a story of a girl on a quest to change her family's poor fortune. Great adventure and lots of meaningful lessons.

Island of the Blue Dolphins, Scott O'Dell. We both also really enjoyed this one, but when we were getting into it I have to say that I doubted the selection because it had some heavy themes (a girl is accidently abandoned on and island and her brother is killed by wild dogs.) But we perservered through the heavier parts and looked forward to the adventure each night. Probably would have been better to wait until he was a few years older.

Brighty of Grand Canyon, Marguerite Henry. We picked this book up in preparation for our trip to the Grand Canyon and I was really happy how it brought the canyon and its creatures to life for us. The story starts with a murder of a really kind man, so again kind of a heavy theme some times. But it mostly followed Brighty's adventures in the canyon. Soren probably enjoyed this one more than I did.

Because of Winn-Dixie, and Tale of Depereaux (not pictured), by Kate DiCamillo. Soren liked both of these quite a lot, but I really didn't care for Despereaux. I hate stories that spend much time with people being petty, mean or jealous. And that book had a lot of those kinds of characters.

Superfudge, Judy Blume. Oh how Soren loves this book. I think we could start it over again immediately after finishing it and he'd be thrilled. Burping, farting and other bodily noises feature prominently much to his never-ending delight.

Mr. Popper's Penguins, Richard Atwater. We both enjoyed this fun book. It used a lot of British English which I changed as I read just so not to have to answer what's that? through the whole book!

We have a huge stack of books that I've been collecting just for this special bedtime reading period. It is one of our best times every day.

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking of you guys tonight as L and I finished up her most recent book, Kiki's Delivery Service. I think Soren might really like it and there's a Miyazaki film version to look forward to when you're done.

    Ha, if you had trouble with british english in Mr. Popper's Penguins DON'T read aloud The Secret Garden. The Yorkshire dialect will kill you.

    Superfudge is old favorite around here. Lorelei took a nap today (still very sick...) listening to Fudge-a-mania on cd from the library. Def recommend the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.