Heading to Montana

Again this year my Dad rallied the troups for a famiy vacation. This time in Montana. So we loaded up the Mini Cooper, no small feat packing a family and our acoutrements for a week vacation, and we headed out. Sometimes I worry that we'll stunt Soren's development by never allowing him to experience that childhood rite of passage: the long car ride with NOTHING to do.
montana 010

montana 228

We spent the night in Spokane on the way out. Spokane always surprises me when it is charming and interesting. We stopped at one of Peter's old haunts, The White Elephant.

montana 008

Funny, because he remembers it as a huge store with every imaginable diversion. But it turned out to be about 1/2 toy store, 1/2 sporting good store. I guess when you are relying on his memory from when he was 8 years old that might explain things. In the countless times we've driven through Spokane, I'd never stopped to see its most famous site: the giant Radio Flyer wagon. We fixed that oversight on this trip. It is indeed pretty cool.

2011-08-01 06.51.22

Actually, the whole waterfront park downtown is worth a few hours.

333

I think this wins for me as one of the best public sculptures ever.

111

2011-08-01 07.09.25

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous of the Radio Flyer slide. Must get back to Spokane someday.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.