Spring Break Road Trip 2011: Manzanar, Japanese Internment Camp

Again, another place I'd never heard of. This one we learned about by stopping at one of those random information shops along the highway.

2011 spring break 177

Soren was pretty excited because they offered Junior Ranger badges if you did the assignments. He took it very seriously.

2011 spring break 173

He had to answer questions about what 10 things he'd bring if he was told his family had to pack up and leave (his list included sunscreen & hat, that's my boy!)

2011 spring break 174

He had to draw a picture of something interesting he saw in the museum. He drew a steamer trunk.

2011 spring break 175

It was a fascinating and very well done museum. It is so interesting to talk to Soren about these types of things at this age. He was quick to see that this wasn't a nice thing to do to people. I asked them what he would do if our country was fighting a country and yet had people here from that place. His solution was that he'd ask them about the war and if they seemed sad about it then he'd let them go because they were the good guys.

In the end he earned his Junior Ranger badge.

2011 spring break 179

I'm not sure which of us was prouder.

2 comments:

  1. So I should address him as Ranger Urban next time I see him? I love all the stuff they do for kids at places like this that otherwise would be a bit dry (but fascinating to adults).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I always say this but...these are my favorite photos ever. I love them so much! The angles, the place, the story! And just the photos. Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.