The Philippines: The One Where I Post Some of the Less Awesome Realities of Boat life

So, we've established that we loved that boat trip, right? For us it was one of the big highlights of the trip. But one of the things we often do while on vacation is consider which of our friends and family would also love whatever activity we are doing at the moment? Who would we recommend this trip to?

And, for this boat trip, despite all its incredible beauty...the list actually was pretty short. Why, you may ask?

Well, I think most of my friends would probably approach the live chickens onboard with the same humor we did. (Although I do have quite a few compassionate friends who would have likely enquired about tofu options.)

I think the things that would likely limit the appeal of this adventure were a lack of some creature comforts. For starters, the sleeping accomodations. Remember our little tent (in blue, in the background here)?

philippines 181 copy

We came to think of this as our own personal sauna. Saunas are lovely and all...but not really for an 8 hour stint overnight. It wasn't so hot while we were there, but three bodies locked in nylon shelter can get pretty toasty. There weren't a lot of mosquitos around, but even a small number is too many when you are trying to sleep. So we kept the tent pretty well zipped up during the night.

We slept there for two nights (Soren slept just fine, thankyouverymuch!) and then bailed on the tent idea to move to the boat. Now, that was lovely. Watching the stars at night. Far fewer mosquitos because we were on the water.

philippines 322 copy

And waking up surrounded by lapping water and loveliness all around.

philippines 338 copy

Nothing better than snuggling up together.

philippines 341 copy

And then, there was the lack of shower. Not that big a deal, really. We were swimming during much of the day and could take care of rudimentary bathing that way. But salt water plus hair...well, not a great combo.

What makes me laugh is that my hair actually felt gorgeous during the whole trip. That saltiness makes it feel thick, luxurious and wild - in a good way. I actually snapped a photo of myself while we were out there just to check to see how I looked with my thick, luxurious, wild hair.

philippines phone photo (17)

Yeah, I'm guessing that thick or luxurious aren't the words that come to mind first for you? Wild, maybe, But more like savage probably.

We did actually have one great opportunity for a fresh water shower: a brief torrential downpour in the middle of day three. The crew, recognizing opportunity when it was knocking, immediately grabbed their shampoo and lathered up on deck. Me, well, the rain was freezing...and I was still under the illusion that I had a cool wild look going.

So, there you have it. The small details that would likely dissuade many of our friends from this particular adventure. But I do have to point out that there are ways to avoid the particular challenges presented above. So when you do decide to book your trip to the Philippines (because on the whole it is a destination that we can whole-heartedly recommend) let me know and I'll help you plan to avoid those shortcomings!

p.s. Would believe I'm still not finished posting about this trip? Sheesh. Will I ever be able to get through all these photos?!

1 comment:

  1. Hot tents = sucksville. Sleeping on the boat seems much nicer.

    And I love the hair! It's so thick and luxurious!:)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.