In Contrast: the Marion County Fair

Remember how much I love the Oregon Country Fair? Impossible to overstate, actually. It just totally rocks.

Well, the Marion County Fair. Er, not so much.

marion county fair 001

It was definitely a case of overblown expectations. First, we'd just been to the un-toppable Country Fair. And then, somehow I didn't realize that this was different from the Oregon STATE fair that is held at the same venue.

marion county fair 018

Yeah, I know. It is at a different time of year and has a totally different name. But somehow I just thought that a fair at this venue would be just like the state fair. Uh, wrong. Way wrong.

marion county fair 024

It was an inferno all set up in a concrete parking lot. It was one small barn with about 1/4 of the animals as at the state fair. There were literally only 4 rides suitlable for Soren.

marion county fair 029

But you can see from the photos, my impression of the fair didn't matter one bit. We were smart and showed up at the last 2 hours of the fair which meant free admission. One $20 ride bracelet and Soren rode those 4 rides to his heart's content.

I'm a little worried though that I may have shown him too good a time...and he'll ask to go again next year.

1 comment:

  1. We felt the same way about the Marion Co. fair. We got in free too, so no money lost. And the kids LOVED the animals and their tour of the fire truck and police car. They probably thought it was the best fair ever, so I won't tell them any different!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.