Country Fair Love

Anyone know where I can send my nomination for The World's Best Festival? I'm totally recommending the Oregon Country Fair.

country fair 002

I've decided that while the name is accurate...it is in Oregon, it is in the country, and it is technically a fair...I think the name give people the wrong impression. The word fair conjures up images of elephant ears, fat people in tank tops eating said elephant ears, dust, rides and carnies, and all the other details that go hand in hand with our usual impression of fairs in the summer.

country fair 012

But the Oregon Country Fair...just so, so, so much more. Delicious, often organic, foods. Amazing musical diversions. And people watching to beat all people watching.

country fair 019

Even random free craft booths for kids to create their own hats to ward off all the sun.

country fair 035

...and blend in with all the revelers.

country fair 039

This year I learned more clearly about what I love about the fair. Food? Yes, it is yummy. Music? Yep, it is good and so diverse. But for me, it is all about walking a bit until I find a bench and then settling in to watch the parade of people walk by.

country fair 057

Then wandering a bit further until we come across another open bench. And if the guy sitting next to you happens to be toting a drum...well you may as well just join in and add to the music of the scene.

country fair 060

We're so lucky to have friends who have a booth at the fair. They graciously allow us to come and enjoy their prime vantage point for awhile. (That would be Soren misting the crowd.)

country fair 068

Even with all our sitting, it seems like we cover a few miles of ground and enough stimulation to send two out of the three of us into dreamland as soon as we get back to the car for the drive home.

country fair 070

(I was driving and the red light didn't last long enough for me to get a picture of Peter sleeping too!)

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.