Our First Family Canoe Outing

Last weekend came with a fabulous weather forcast, no prior engagements, and all of us (ok, me!) just itching to get outside for some family fun.

As you've probably noticed, we're pretty good about regularly taking family vacations. But I don't feel quite as successful at just taking small family daytrips. On weekends it seems that we all kind of get into our habits and busy things. Soren and I stop off along the way for some fun adventures, but I want more family time! So my new resolution was to try to find more 3-4 hour adventures rather than just feeling like I needed to plan a whole trip.

I decided that canoeing would be a good option. Ever since Soren and I visited Willamette Mission State Park last month, I've been hoping to head back there with the canoe. But still, with the slow driving required with the canoe mounted on the truck, it would still take us nearly an hour to get there. Not exactly a quick outing.

So, I pulled up some satellite maps online and searched for a nearby body of water. Enter: Aumsville Ponds County Park! Never heard of it before, and it is only 8 miles from our house!

sunny may days 102

I packed some snacks. We tossed up the canoe. And off we went!

sunny may days 090

It wasn't the most exotic setting ever, but it was perfect for our purposes. Lots of resident (hungry!) geese and ducks.

sunny may days 075

I do have to admit that geese and ducks kind of freak me out when they get near Soren. He's pretty brave, but I've seen them chase people for food, and those beaks are hard! But as long as one of us was hovering not too far away, I guess it was ok.

sunny may days 086

But, mostly, there was the fun and relaxing canoeing.

sunny may days 064

I made the mistake of only bringing my 50mm lens. Sigh. Which means that I usually have to back waaaaay up to get a non-close-up shot. Well, really, there is a fairly serious limitation in how far you can back up in a canoe!

sunny may days 056

Peter said he kept hearing the sounds of pirates on the shore. Soren did a good job keeping an eye out for them.

sunny may days 039

And also watching for goslings, turtles and fish...

sunny may days 021

It was a great mini outing. Look for more of those from us in the future. A lot of fun.

3 comments:

  1. I love Soren's hat! I assume it's one of Peter's old ones...so cute on him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I pretty please be in your family?? The housekeeper...anything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea...that looks so fun! When you were talking about the geese and ducks being a little scary at times I'd have to say I agree!!! When we were at the Park the other day we saw a little girl get her finger bit by a squirrel...it was spirting blood every where...turned out she was headed to the ER because it was barely hangin' on (plus I mean hello, she was bit by a wild animal). Sometimes those animals are deceiving!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.