Ushuaia, Argentina. Tierra del Fuego.

When reflecting on big trips like this I suppose it is natural to consider what the highlights were. Which places and experiences really stood out? For me, probably the two best days were the next two ports: Ushuaia, Argentina and then the Falkland Islands.

Arrival in Ushuaia was preceded by some staggering scenery.

ushuaia argentina 043 copy

Which was made all the more amazing by our incredible luck of having arrived on a sunny day with near 70-degree temperatures.

ushuaia argentina 146 copy

ushuaia argentina 145 copy

One of the more popular hikes in this area is taking a ski lift up to the starting point of a hike that leads to a glacier.

IMG_1443 copy

Even from the top of the chairlift the views were incredible.

ushuaia argentina 054 copy

As we headed higher though, it just got better.

ushuaia argentina 057 copy

As we were climbing, and based on looking at a topographical map of the area, Peter decided that every single other person on the mountain wasn't doing the most interesting hike. And so soon came his famous words..."follow me..."

ushuaia argentina 067 copy

So, of course, I did.

ushuaia argentina 060 copy

And, also of course, he was totally right.

ushuaia argentina 071 copy

It just got more and more beautiful.

ushuaia argentina 074 copy

And I just kept following.

ushuaia argentina 075 copy

Until we made it!

ushuaia argentina 077 copy

ushuaia argentina 094 copy

We were rewarded with views that can make your toes curl.

ushuaia argentina 083 copy

ushuaia argentina 089 copy

ushuaia argentina 098 copy

And we had it all totally to ourselves. Amazing.

The descent was a bit tricky at first, sliding on all the loose shale.

ushuaia argentina 103 copy

But then it just became pure fun and we bounded down through the snow.

ushuaia argentina 106 copy

ushuaia argentina 117 copy

ushuaia argentina 123 copy

ushuaia argentina 127 copy

ushuaia argentina 128 copy

I think this next one is one of my very favorite photos of the entire trip:

ushuaia argentina 131 copy

After the hike we went back to get Soren from the ship.

ushuaia argentina 155 copy

And had a bit more fun just playing around the town.

ushuaia argentina 159 copy

7 comments:

  1. Okay....so I wonder if when a camera leaves the factory if it wonders what great things it will get to see in it's lifetime? Your camera must feel so lucky! Every post has me dreaming! These shots are so fantastic Amy. I love each one more than the last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on everything the Willits Family said!!! Also, did you use your Cannon with your 50mm on all of these? Or did you take something smaller with you so you didn't have to lug it around all the time. If you did take it what were you packing it around in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks guys for your sweet comments. You know, never mind the CAMERA, ***I**** couldn't ever have envisioned having a life so lucky that I get so see such great places!!

    Kendell - I got a new lens, in anticipation of this trip. It is the Tamron 17-50, f/2.8. And contrary to your wise instinct that I might want to carry something SMALLER...it is in fact bigger than the 50mm. But it gives me such a wider range than the 50mm. This new lens is versatile and practical...but I can't say thati I love love love it like I do the 50mm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, and as for how I carried it...I finally figured out a solution that I like. I carry the camera cross-body as a sling. I then also used a structureless, reusable shopping bag (one that has a cute pattern on it) over my shoulder. I can put my sunscreen and other small things in it for the day and then slide my camera in it so that it isn't so conspicuous. It worked really well. I could quickly pull the camera out, snap a shot, and drop it right back in the bag without having to deal with a opening a camera bag.

    There are two things I'll do to improve my system 1) get a camera strap cover to make it even more camouflaged. and 2) get a cross body structureless bag instead of over the shoulder...easier to carry.

    Crime was something to consider in many of our ports and so having my camera out and obvious was a concern. But my goal was to just make myself LESS vulnerable than the other 2600 passengers who would descend on a town! And this solution did that for me.

    How to carry my camera has been a huge question for me since I got it. I'm happy to be arriving at a workable solution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is my favorite post so far--love the pictures and scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, you should really look into my friend making you a bag like mine. She charges $50.00 plus a little extra for the supplies. You pick the colors and such. I love my bag! It is the perfect camera bag for someone like you and me. It does not look like a camera bag at all so when you travel it is hidden. It holds everything you need for the day and it is cute! It holds your camera and an extra lens. Let me know if you want the details. She will totally work with you if you want to buy your own material too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! That place is astounding.... remind me to ask Peter which way to go while on a hike... Sunny and snowy...my favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.