Balloons a Glow

This weekend was the Art & Air Festival. Being a bit of a festival junkie family, we of course couldn't miss it. The opening day of the festival featured a Balloon Night Glow event where they'd line up hot air balloons and illuminate them from within. Cool!

Since I'm a bit of a stickler about bedtimes though, Soren staying up after dark was going to be a very unusual thing. We talked about it and looked forward to it all week.

When we first arrived at the festival we milled around. Smelled the handmade soaps (bubble gum was his fave.)

balloon fest 010 copy

Bought some of the requisite tasty treats.

balloon fest 051 copy

And then headed over to the main event.

balloon fest 063 copy

But poor Soren, having absolutely no experience walking around at night, in the dark, was completely confused. "I can't see a thing!" he kept saying.

balloon fest 066 copy

Our eyes of course adjusted to the darkness, but still that wasn't enough for Soren. This whole staying up late business was surely over-rated if you couldn't see the ground in front of you!

balloon fest 106 copy

Having enormous glowing balloons in front of him was no thrill. He wanted to see the people standing next to him, the dogs walking by, all the other visual delights that come with festivals...

balloon fest 115 copy

"Mom, I can't see a thing!"

3 comments:

  1. All I can say is..."Oh my gosh" "oh my gosh", "oh my gosh"...those photos are insane Amy! Absolutely gorgeous. What were your settings? How did you do it?

    And it looks amazing...I'm sad we missed it...looks like a MUST do for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Arin! These actually were pretty easy shots. I did have some blurred images where I wasn't watching my shutter speed (I NEVER do! Oops.)

    I shoot almost everything on aperture priority. These too. I didn't know what to do with the white balance, the balloon shots are "cloudy" and I was quite happy with that.

    But the balloons were just so cool that it was hard to get a bad shot. (Confession: 80% of the reason I wanted to go to this event was to take pictures of it! Don't tell Soren!)

    Most of them were at f/2.2 but the shutter speed varied from 1/10 (too slow for a handheld shot, but it worked, I guess) to 1/400.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Arin. The pictures are amazing! It's been fun to see your photographic skill evolve! Now if it would just rub off on me...

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.