Conversation About Cows

Soren: Mom, how do they kill cows?
Me: Er, what cows?
Soren: The cows we eat.
Me: Um, they shoot them.
Soren: Oh.

pause

Soren: That isn't very nice.
Me: Nope, I suppose it isn't.
Soren: But they have to do that.
Me: You think so? Do you think people need to eat that?

Soren, wisely avoiding the question, goes back to playing with trains. A few minutes later...

Soren: Mom, do the cows fight the gun?
Me: No.
Soren: Why not?
Me: Because they don't know they are going to be shot so they aren't scared or worried about it.

Sheesh. Nothing like a conversation with a four year old to make you feel like you should be a vegetarian.

5 comments:

  1. No kidding! We still have to call pork "chicken" because of the movie babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he nearly convinced me too...do they really shoot them? I mean I guess I just never thought about it...glad to know the answer now from when Jimmy asks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They really shoot them? I thought they used some sort of a nail gun thingy. Maybe I'm just imagining things. Maybe we should discuss this at book club.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, they shoot them. Right between the eyes. Had it done to one of our cows that we thoroughly enjoyed eating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colin and Soren may be eco-terrorists together one day ;)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.