Setting Free the "Butterflies"

The time we were out of town was, of course, exactly the time that Soren's butterflies were scheduled to make their grand entrance. But our great neighbors babysat our little chrysalids for us while we were gone and then delivered them in all their grand butterfly beauty when we returned. We enjoyed watching them for a day or so and then went over to the neighbors' for the releasing ceremony.

butterflies 016

There were five of them in their little enclosure.

butterflies 020

Fun to watch them flapping around inside.

butterflies 018

Then each of the kids reached in and let one land on their hand...

butterflies 037

And some butterflies were even passed around a bit...

butterflies 042

...and rested before they flew off for their life in our neighborhood.

butterflies 033

(And...anyone who notices that these "butterflies" actually have a striking resemblence to moths, please don't tell anyone.)

4 comments:

  1. My son actually came home and gave me a lecture about this the other day. I guess there is no difference between a moth and a butterfly. You see the moth just gets a bad rap because it is not as pretty....sounds like high school all over again:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look like Monarchs from a difference. No one has to know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a bug person....I won't get involved....BUT...some moths are more lovely than some butterflies. There is a difference...if you would like to know:) I guess it is kind of like weeds. I always say a weed is only a flower that is not wanted. My mothers favorite flower is a dandelion. So I guess beauty is all in the eyes of the beholder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cal was able to do this same thing in school. They just loved being able to watch the different stages. And by the way, if I don't get into the photography class can I pay you to teach me?! And I'm not kidding!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.