Last Day in Stockholm

The conference finished, we took a fabulous tour of Stockholm today. We travelled all over town by bus. Just looking out the windows throughout the trip was really interesting.

stockholm 061

One of the main highlights of the tour was the Vassa Museum. The Vassa was a ship that sank on its maiden voyage about 350 years ago. A huge war ship heading out with crowds of onlookers, it was poorly designed and top heavy and sank within 20 minutes of leaving port which means that the crowd watched the whole thing. Talk about a bad day at work!

stockholm 022

They didn't have the means to retrieve the Vassa until the 60's, 333 years after it sank. But now it is on display for all to see.

stockholm 027

We walked around the old part of town too. This is my favorite area of Stockholm.

stockholm 096

Our guide, while very articulate and well-versed in the history of Stockholm, wasn't dressed quite as creatively as these two.

stockholm 097

Stockholm is built around 14 different islands which means that you are never very far from a beautiful water view.

stockholm 155

This is me with Sofia, one of my colleagues from the Swedish office. She's always a great host.

stockholm 098

We stopped again at the royal palace.

stockholm 109

Isn't it pretty with the softness and brightness of the flowers in this architecure?

stockholm 110

Guess what I ordered for dinner?

stockholm 150

Reindeer! I couldn't pass up the chance. I had it smoked and in a very sweet white sauce over fettucine. Delicious! (Sorry, Rudolph.)

stockholm 151

I'm checking out of my hotel in about an hour. Time for the long journey home. A huge bonus though is that I'm meeting up with Peter and Soren at the airport in Chicago. They've been off playing in Michigan while I've been in Sweden. Can't wait to see them!

2 comments:

  1. Amy, you should contact Swedish officials and ask them if you could make their next travel brochure. Your pictures are amazing!! You're very talented. What a beautiful place.

    I can't wait to tell my kids that you ate reindeer. I wonder what they'll say? Especially the one who still believes in Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun, especially the Rudolph part :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.