Cultural Differences

Soren and I made chicken for dinner the other night. I find it hard to believe but it is the first time he's ever helped prepare a whole bird. And let me tell ya, he was digging it. We rinsed it, patted it dry and then rubbed it in olive oil. He was so thrilled that it was ok for him to poke all over that bird, wiggle the legs, tug on the wings, stick his hand way up inside and feel around.

After awhile he got a quizzical look on his face....

Soren: Mom, where's the head?
Me: There isn't a head. They took it off.
Soren: Who took it off?
Me: They took it off at the store.
Soren: Why?
Me: Because we don't eat the head.
Soren (looking like this all made total sense now): Ah yeah, because we live in America! We don't eat chicken heads in America.

Hm, I guess that is true. But I have no idea how he's come to know that other countries might eat animal parts that we don't usually eat.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.