Skiing, Day 1

Today was an adventure! It started off so well...enormous gondola up the mountain...
Soren really enjoyed the ride.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the next few hours. There are a few reasons for that: 1) Because I was too white-knuckled to hold anything other than my ski poles, and 2) Because there was so much snow and wind and so little visibility that I couldn't really see the snow under my skiis.
I did learn a valuable lesson: that ski trail map that you just shove into your pocket is more valuable when you read it before jumping on a lift. Ignoring that particular gem caused me to end up on a run that was way above my level. It might have been manageable had I been able to actually see the run in front of me. But with the wind and low light, I couldn't see if there was a bump, a drop off, a pile of powder, or a steep hill. I did make it down, even with my skiis still on. But it was a long, and very unglamorous exhibition.
We seriously debated whether running into the restaurant would be too wimpy. But I was quite relieved to find about half of our group already there by the time my group got there. There's something especially comforting about eating a fabulous meal on top of the Alps instead of trying to keep yourself alive out there!
I passed a few hours like this:


While the ski conditions weren't great, it actually was a terrific day. It is snowing like mad right now, and the predictions are for it to continue. So I'm not sure how tomorrow will be. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing photos again. I love the one of the gondola! Great shot! And you with Soren on the lift...super cute!

    It really looks so...just fantastic! I've only been to Switzerland in the summer and I have to say I think it's even more gorgeous in the winter. Wow!

    Okay I'm off to watch Heidi...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does it feel to say you've been to heaven? Amazing! Sorry about the ski conditions. But skiing/snowboarding are kind of like donuts and pizza - even when they're bad, they're still kind of good.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.