Just Say No to Baby Dolls

I've always believed that we've followed Soren's lead in terms of the types of toys he likes to play with. If he shows an interest in a particular type of toy we try to get those for him to play with. So he's amassed quite a collection of trains, tractors, trucks, cars. Typical "boy toys." It just seems to be what he likes to play with.

But each time we go to Grandpa and Grandma's house in Michigan he has a great fascination with a baby doll that they have. She comes with a small, working, pink stroller. Soren loves pushing her around and around the house. So it made me wonder if perhaps I had been limiting his exposure to toys that are more often considered to be "girl toys."

So, last time we were in Michigan and I was cleaning out some of the random piles of stuff that are still accumulated in their basement I came across my old Cabbage Patch doll (or maybe it belonged to one of my sisters, who knows.) So, I told Soren that we could take it home for him to play with. His response:

"No, I don't want to play with that doll."

Thinking that maybe he just didn't really understand me, or perhaps he was in a bad mood, or maybe he'd warm up to playing with her once he was home...or some other random possibility might occur, I took her home with us.

Since then she's been sitting on the dresser in my bedroom. I offered her to Soren once or twice, but he had no interest. Still, I didn't really have a place for her elsewhere so she's just been sitting on my dresser.

The other night we were in my room and Soren saw her. He looked at me, pointed at her and said "I do not like that doll. She has to go back to Michigan."

Hm, I guess it wasn't just that we've given him boy toys. I'm now convinced that the reason he loves Grandma's doll is that she comes on wheels.

So, I guess if you are in the market for a gently loved 30 year old Cabbage Patch doll I can probably help you out with that.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever had a good, hard look at a cabbage patch doll? Soren's aversion has nothing to do with her lack of wheels. Those things are FREAKY!! That kid has smarts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious. Colin has decided he "really doesn't like Garbie" (aka Barbie). Garbie was accidentally included in a Happy Meal. He was NOT pleased with Garbie.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.