Soren Can Draw!

Looks like he's learning something in pre-school. As I've mentioned frequently on this blog, there are plenty of things that surprise me about kids. One of them has been drawing. I mean, I knew Soren wouldn't be able to pump out Picasso's at birth or anything. But I did expect some actual shapes to make sense when he started using a crayon or marker. At least some sense. But he's just never shown an interest in trying specific shapes or even just tracing things. He just scribbles. Acually he's not really that interested in drawing at all, but will do it on occasion when I duct tape him to the kitchen stool if I need to do something in the kitchen and want to keep an eye on him.

I've heard that this is a boy-girl difference, but who knows. I have a friend with a daughter Soren's age and she was writing her name - Lorelei, no less! - when she was like 2 years old!

Peter has saved some pictures to show me Soren's genius at drawing our family. He insists that they show Soren's great observational skills. But I think that is just daddy-pride because really they are a bunch of squiggles. Maybe there are three distinct bunches of squiggles, one for each of us, but still...just a bunch of squiggles.

That's why I was so surprised and impressed when Soren told me he wanted to draw a face on his pumpkin...and then did it!

2 comments:

  1. Too funny - Henry was the same way - though I hadn't tried duct tape, but have been close in the past. Drawing just wasn't interesting to him.

    However, just yesterday Henry sat down and drew his first picture (beyond scribbling.) And his drawing was a pumpkin 'person!' Must be something about those pumpkins that make those boys want to start drawing.

    Way to go Soren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with the boy/girl difference thing. Jameson is just barely starting to draw anything that resembles...well anything!

    Soren did a great job on the pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.