Bruce Springsteen is Corrupting My Family

Alright, while we're in the post-spank confessional mode I may as well admit to one of my other baby mommy habits. Soren and I like to sing together. A lot. Most of the time it is itsy bitsy spider, a Sound of Music song, or something by Barney. You know, totally child-appropriate. But then sometimes I'm walking around the house singing some random song and Soren picks up on it.

Which is exactly what happened with Bruce Springsteen's I'm on Fire. My musical tastes aren't very complicated. Mostly, if I know the words then I like the song. And this one is particularly fun because there are plenty of places to get your voice all gravely and rock star-ish. It's just a fun song to sing.

Hey, little girl is your daddy home, did he go and leave you all alone?
mmm mmm I got a bad desire,
oh oh oh, I'm on fire.
Tell me now baby is he good to you,
can he do to you the things that I wanna do?
mmm mmm I can take you higher,
oh oh oh, I'm on fire.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife baby, edgy and dull and cut a six-inch valley through the middle of my soul.
At night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet and a freight train running through the middle of my head,
only you can cool my desire,
oh, I'm on fire. Oh, I’m on fire. Oh, I’m on fire.

Well, now Soren knows all the words to this song. Sheesh. I just hope he doesn't start talking about a knife, edgy and dull carving a valley through the middle of his soul while we are at Target.

I think I need to expand my Barney repertoire to avoid such egregious mommy moments in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that is choice!! Now I'm singing the song in my head. He seriously knows all the words? Whenever I sing, my girls tell me to be quiet. They don't like my singing voice. I can't say I blame them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully their memories are often short these days or at least easily distracted. So just start in on another song. Lorelei DID in fact walk around Target singing about us trying to make her go to rehab but thankfully I don't think many picked up on it due to her lack of articulation at the time. Still a frightening mommy moment... I don't even want to know what she and Daddy listen to in the car though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Call me a stalker Aim....but I have spent a little time everyday reading your blogs to catch up with you and your family. It brings back such great memories of when my kids were little...This one regarding the Bruce song....When Bailey was 3 (19 now!) she learned Jimmy Buffet's, "Why don't we get drunk and screw"...and yup...she sang it non stop...anytime, anywhere. I finally convinced her that he was saying, "Why don't we get brown and cruise". I know, sue me but it was all I could think of at the time!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.