The Hills Are Alive!

Soren loves The Sound of Music and I'm sure by the time he's in kindegarten he's going to be the only child in his class that knows each and every word to the soundtrack. It started when he was in the hospital in Poland and there were so many treatments that bothered him. So I started singing "My Favorite Things" (which he calls "the raindrops on roses song") then we'd talk about all the things that he loves.

Lately he's been really talking about emotions a lot. Especially when he's sad. Here's an excerpt: "Oh no! I'm saaaaaad! (cry, cry, whimper, sob) I'm never going to be happy again! (sob, sniffle, whimper) Whatever am I going to do to get happy?" (No kidding, that really is what he says!)

I told him that he should think about his favorite things, so we talk about what he loves and he makes a list. By the time we come to the second item on the list of his favorite things, he's already smiling.

He also really likes the song Maria. As in how do you solve a problem like Maria. But he isn't content with just singing it. He insists on understanding what the song is all about. So I have to explain why it is unacceptable for a nun to be singing in an abbey. He listens and seems content with my explanations, but how could that possibly make sense to him?

4 comments:

  1. Soooo jealous. I tried to get Colin to watch it. He said "I don't like this movie".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing out loud right now. He has the best comments! I love that he loves Sound of Music...I'm going to try and get Jamo on that one! I love that he is analyzing "Maria"...hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, a few weeks ago I thought I'd rent "The sound of music" for my husband and kids. They'd never seen it before. Neal loves Germany (Germany, Austria - pretty much the same thing), and the girls like songs. We made it about 2/3 of the way through and my my kids were whining, "this is so stupid!" If you want to make Neal mad, just start singing "Maria." It gets stuck in his head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, you're going to have to cover a lot of ground for the Maria song!

    If Soren is anything like I was as a kid (yes, I learned this soundtrack at a young age too), he'll want to know the following:

    1. What's a wimple, and why can't she have curlers underneath it?

    2. What does penitence mean? How can you tell the real kind from the not-real kind?

    3. Why would Maria want to be an acid to the abbey? :-)

    2. Well, how DO you catch a cloud and pin it down? And for that matter, how do you keep a wave upon the sand?

    3. What is a flibbertigibbet? A will o' the wisp? What do these things have to do with clowns?

    4. What's a whirling dervish, and how does it get back in whirl after you throw it out?

    But thanks to this song, he will know one thing for sure . . .

    Q: How do you hold a moonbeam?
    A: In your hand!

    Thanks for the giggle, and the trip down Memory Lane . . . have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.