Fantasy vs. Reality

Peter and Soren went up to visit some friends of ours in Bellingham. Peter's been planning this for awhile (it was a ski trip), and honestly I knew the time would come when he and Soren would start taking to the road while I'm working. Actually, I'm sort of surprised that it has taken 2 1/2 years before it happened. But still, I have to say that I wasn't really excited about it. I really love to see them every day!

As the time drew closer though I started thinking about the possibility of all this free time that I was going to have. For me, other than the lack of sleep, the loss of free time has been the hardest part of motherhood. So the idea of having 4 days with only myself to please grew more appealing. I could go shopping! Take long leisurely baths! Get a pedicure! Lay on the couch and read magazines! Go to the movies! So many possibilities.

Well, now here we are on the last day of all my free time...and what have I accomplished? I did do quite a bit of aimless shopping on Sunday. That was fun. Soren is a good shopping partner but we don't just browse too much. I went in to a bunch of stores that I'd never even been in before. But since then I've gone in to work early and stayed at work late every day. Is this what I did with my free time when I was childless? I've accomplished a lot..but still it didn't turn out quite as blissfully relaxing as I anticipated.

They are on their way home now. I'm excited to see them. Maybe I'll take that long leisurely bath after Soren goes to bed tonight...

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.