Need to Expand Soren's Vocabulary

Well, yesterday I discovered the limits of Soren's fantastic vocabulary. This week I'm going to work on teaching him "urgent" and "emergency". Here's the story.

I was cleaning the garage and while we were out there he wanted to play in the car. Since that usually entails hitting the power door locks within three seconds of getting in the vehicle I thought I was being very clever by opening the back door so that I'd be able to reach through when he was ready to come out. So he climbs in and, as expected, locks the doors immediately. He went along happily playing and eventually announces "I want to come out,Mom."

So, I go to reach through the back door and realize that the door has closed just enough to look slightly ajar but still be locked. No big deal, I could just run in and grab my keys but I decided to try to see how well Soren could follow directions. So I started telling him how to hit the unlock button. I pointed toward the button and told him to push it. "Push that button, no up just a little...no, over that way...no, a little bit higher..." Let me tell you, two year olds aren't into subtle movements. Each time I had him change positions he'd move his hand to an entirely different section of the door.

Eventually he did manage to unlock the door. "Put your finger on the button, and push the part with no words" were the instructions that finally got him there. So, the door is unlocked. I open the door to retrieve him and he announces....

"I peed!"

Sure enough, there was pee all on the front seat. If only he'd told me that it was an emergency, I could have just let him out quickly. Poor guy - trying to follow complex directions and not pee. Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that is just too funny! Poor guy! Or should I say poor Amy for having to clean it up. I agree with you on a two year old and their lack of subtle movements!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.